FALL2022: KL hip-hop syllabus
Later classes may be moved around a bit
Here you can find what I will be teaching Thursdays at KL, from 6pm-9pm, for the Fall 2022 season. Each class / session is independent: you don’t need to go to all three hours. However, this class structure is made to improve your understanding and provide time to practice; practicing dance in a structured way is how I improve and I want to provide that space for you too!
We will focus on bounce and rock, but touch upon skates and rolls throughout the whole program. Groove will be presented throughout all classes. A primer on this history of Hip-hop can be found here.
The entire Fall 2022 season will be structured to provide an introduction to hip-hop. You may consider the 3 hours a week until mid December a form of intensive course. Coming to all the classes will expose you to many aspects of hip-hop dance. 4 months is not enough to cover everything, but by the end you are sure to improve.
NOTE: from 7-8pm, November 3, 10, 17, 24 are reserved for the showcase, if there’s enough interest. Students are expected to commit to these 4 class times if they want to perform. Details about showcase sign ups will be provided by Krossline at a later date. If there is not enough interest, the showcase prep times will be replaced with class material.
The goals of each hour are as follows:
- 6pm-7pm class: Expose students to foundation party moves in hip-hop. I emphasize body mechanics and safe movement.
- 7pm-8pm class: Break down party moves into its components, prioritizing understanding each move. Depending on the subject matter you may have time to learn, create or share your moves by teaching your peers. This class also goes into more abstract concepts to keep your dance grounded. 4 classes will be dedicated to the showcase.
- 8pm-9pm session: Cyphers, guided practice and ultimately a space to improve your dance. Hip-hop music but you can practice what you want. Feel free to ask anyone anything, goal is to share! Even if you just started, there are things you can offer as well. My friends may join us from time to time, they’ll be happy to help with questions as well. There will be a concept, but you don’t have to take part in doing it. If you decide to try, you’ll be surrounded by multiple dancers showing their own variations of the concept, which will improve your own understanding of the material.
- Up, down, constant, explosive.
- Movement with Bounce.
- Double time.
- Bounce isolation.
- Concept: Gotta Bounce!
Dress rehersal for the TRIPOLI TEN showcase. Unfortunately no class this day!
- Indian step.
- Rock Isolation.
- Rock to facilitate movement.
- Core stability.
- relationship to bounce, in-tandem benefits.
- Concept: gotta rock!
- 6pm-7pm: Cat Daddy
- 7pm-8pm: showcase… run-through the piece quickly, pt 2.
- 6pm-7pm: RoboCop
- 7pm-8pm: clean up moves, freestyle segment practice.
- 6pm-7pm: C-walk
- 7pm-8pm: showcase dress rehersal. Time to fix any issues!
- 6pm-7pm: Walk it out / ATL stomp
- 6pm-7pm: BIZ MARKIE
- 6pm-7pm: Criss-cross